Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana - Everything You Need to Know
14 Nov 2022
Table of Content
What is Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana?
The Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana account is a financial umbrella provided by the Government of India to make economically backwards Indian citizens fall within a structured financial institution. The program endeavours to reach out to every adult to open accounts with affordable banking for all. Low-income unorganised sectors, with daily wagers, cannot opt for private banking facilities owing to eligibility criteria that impede them from maintaining those accounts. But the PMJDY allows all banking privileges to Indian citizens in zero balance accounts allowing them to save as they earn without depending on private and insecure saving cooperatives.
What does the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana PMJDY mean for women? PMJDY marks its imprint on women's empowerment by including more women under the ambit of formal banking. Packed with qualitative benefits like insurance, and accident coverage this secure banking programme is India's instrument in the inclusive adaptation of digitalization.
Establishment of Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana
The Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana account was launched in 2014. It has seen exponential success with the number of accounts rising from 17.9 crores in August 2015 to 46.25 crores in August 2022. The yojana has experienced an inflow of energetic account holders willing to save than take a loan, and the robust numbers of operative accounts show that India is looking forwards to being connected by households on a reliable countrywide banking system. The Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana account allows account holders to benefit from affordable credit, pension and insurance schemes. Cutting across the clutter of multiple transaction requirements with the direct government to the consumer, the process has been simplified for encouraging user support. The programme supports various other social schemes. The programme was initially planned for 2018 covering four years, however, going by the success of the scheme, the government planned to extend it targeting the one adult one account ratio.
Benefits of Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana
The PMJDY programme is a nationwide savings account scheme for those with low income. The benefits of Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana include savings and deposits, Remittance, Credit, Insurance, and Pension affordable to all Indian citizens fulfilling the scheme eligibility.
- The PMJDY account can be opened in any bank or through the Business Correspondent (Bank Mitra) outlet in the Bank of Baroda.
- This is a zero-balance account without any ceiling on the maximum amount to be kept in the account.
- The account must be KYC compliant.
- The interest paid in the account is as per savings bank interest.
- The account holder will get a free RuPay Debit Card covered with accidental insurance cover of up to Rs 2 lakhs.
- The account holder will get all the normal savings to account adjuncts like passbook, chequebook, net banking and mobile banking, nomination and SMS facility. The banking facilities are no-maintenance making it convenient for the lower income group to comfortably maintain the account.
- Transferring funds anywhere in India have been simplified for users.
- Once the PMJDY account is run satisfactorily by the user for six months they can take advantage of facilities like overdraft for up to 10,000/- per household.
- They will find access to Government pension and insurance schemes.
- They can also take advantage of fixed and recurring deposits
- The Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana account also extends service to minors over the age of 10 years with a maximum cap of Rs 1 lakh on their accounts. If the age exceeds 14 the cap is removed from their account.
- The account holders are eligible for a free RuPay debit card along with a chequebook facility for literate minors. PMJDY account opening online is applicable for minors for free mobile and internet banking facilities.
- Small PMJDY holders can have a total credit of not more than 1 lakh a year.
- The maximum balance must not exceed Rs 50,000 at any time.
- In a month the total debit by cash withdrawals should not surpass Rs. 10,000.
How to Open Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana Account?
The Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana account can be opened in person in any branch or Bank Mitra outlet.
An official and valid ID proof are required as proof of address and identity.
The account holder must be a citizen of India.
The PMJDY account holder should have no other bank account.
Documents required for the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana account include:
- Driving license
- PAN Card
- Aadhar Card
- Voter's identity card
- The job card is acceptable if issued by NREGA and signed by an officer in the state government.
- The photo ID card must be issued by the Central/State Government department, Statutory/regulatory Authorities, Public Sector Undertakings, Public Financial Institutes or scheduled commercial banks.
- A letter and photograph, attested by a Gazetted officer.
- If the applicant does not have valid documents, they can still open a Small Account by providing a self-attested thumbprint impression photo in the presence of a bank official.
In the past eight years, the success of this initiative has gained traction covering increasing households under its productivity. The number of active accounts is far more than non-operative accounts. This robust financial initiative will urge people to save as they earn making them conscious of greater savings with more earnings. More than 56 per cent of women are PMJDY account holders, they can benefit from Microcredit self-help groups and Mudra Loans extended to women entrepreneurs. With PMJDY banking focused on rural and semi-urban areas, the scheme has triggered a banking demand as self-employment opportunities for bank Mitras are emerging in the hinterland. The State and Central government is finding it convenient to deliver welfare benefits such as MANREGA wages, pension and ex-gratia payments in the bank accounts directly. The successful permeation of PMJDY accounts has enabled a wider adaptation of digital payment modes through 31 crore RuPay cards, UPI and debit cards, making India more digitally prepared. The budding fintech industry that is retail focused with innovative customised investments through its various saving, credit and insurance products can open a whole new range of possibilities for the large section of low-income households. Bringing the grassroots level to greater compliance and stability will spearhead development in the real sense in our country.
Difference Between Secured and Unsecured Loans
Complete Guide On Pre-Approved Personal Loans
How to Open a Recurring Deposit Account?
Wrap 25th - 29th July 2022
How Tokenization Will Change Your Online Purchase
The humongous potential of Martech
Wrap 11th - 15th July 2022
Everything you needed to know about tds on fd rates
Documents for a Successful Car Loan Application
Step by Step Guide on How to Calculate Home Loan EMI
5 Common Mistakes to Avoid While Investing in Fixed Deposits
Successful 7 Years of Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana
How To Open A Savings Account
Documents Required for Savings Bank Account
Features & Benefits of Savings Account
Difference Between Current Account and Savings Account
A Complete Guide to Savings Account
What is Zero Balance Account
Different Types of Savings Account
Liquid Funds Vs Fixed Deposits
Successful 7 Years of Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana
Let us talk about Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) in detail. It is a nationwide scheme launched in 2014. The programme makes financial services accessible to all eligible individuals in the country.
What is Zero Balance Account
The growth of the Mutual Funds in India has created its edge in the personal finance industry in India and has opened up opportunities for investors to diversify their investments across various asset classes. Mutual fund is a type of financial intermediary product that empowers millions of small as well as large investors across the country to participate and invest in capital market and derive benefits from the same.
Leave a Comment
Thanks for submitting your details.