What is Unified Payment Interface?
Unified payment Interface (UPI) is a payment system developed by National Payment Corporation of India (NPCI). It is a platform where customer can fetch and place all his accounts maintained with different banks and transact through these accounts. UPI allows you to transfer money between any two parties via smart phone through a payment identifier like virtual payment address or Account number + IFSC
Q. How is UPI different from existing transaction mechanisms / IMPS?
- UPI is providing additional benefits to existing mechanisms in the following ways:
- Provides for a P2P Pull (Collect) functionality
- Simplify Merchant Payments
- Single app for funds transfer using account of any bank
- Single Click two factor authentication
Who started it/ who is behind it?
UPI is an initiative of National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI).
What is NPCI?
NPCI is the National Payments Corporation of India. They run a lot of the payments infrastructure in India, including issuing RuPay Cards and making sure you can withdraw money from any ATM irrespective of the bank
Which phones / platforms are supported by these UPI Applications?
Presently, BHIM Baroda Pay application supports Android Mobile and iOS platform phones.
Can I access these UPI Applications from my computer?
No, presently UPI applications are available only through mobile application and is not accessible from your computer.
Do I Need Mobile Internet for downloading and using the application?
Yes, you need a basic mobile internet/GPRS to download these applications. You will need to have an active mobile Internet service to be able to use theseApplications and its features.
How much does it cost to use BHIM Baroda Pay UPI?
BHIM Baroda Pay UPI can be downloaded for free. The Mobile App uses mobile internet data and messaging that will incur charges based on your telecom provider’s data and messaging plan
Do I need to register for making transactions using UPI?
Yes, you need to register on UPI and link your bank accounts before performing transactions
Is it mandatory to have an Account with Bank of Baroda, Dena Bank or Vijay Bank to use the respective UPI Applications of these Banks?
No, A person who is having an account eligible for UPI Applications with any Bank, can use any of these UPI applications. However, the user must have an account with a UPI enabled Bank, updated list of which are available on NPCI website.
What are the requirements for using BHIM Baroda Pay UPI?
- While registering for BHIM Baroda Pay, please ensure you have following:
- An android/ iOS phone with internet services
- An operative bank account eligible for UPI (Saving / Current account having mode of operation Self, Either or Survivor or Sole Proprietor) except NRE / NRO and SukanyaSamviridhi and Multiple Customer ID.
- The mobile number being registered with UPI must be linked to the bank account.
- Active debit card relating to this account for creating UPI PIN for transactions.
Can I use BHIM Baroda Pay when I am travelling abroad?
BHIM Baroda Payhas been enabled for use in India as well as aboard/overseas (roaming facility on same number will be enabled).
How BHIM Baroda Pay UPI is beneficial over mobile banking?
All Banks have their own mobile banking App. When a user has accounts in multiple Banks, he/she has to download the Mobile Banking Application of all those banks. Whereas in UPI, any Bank Customer may download and use the UPI App of any Bank live with UPI. Hence, a user may transact from any Bank account on one platform that is UPI. Easy self-registration by downloading application from Play Store/App store.
The service is instant and available 24X7, even on public/bank holidays. Also, there is no pre - registration required for the beneficiary
Can I have more than one UPI Application?
Yes, you can have multiple UPI Apps of different Bank with same mobile number registered with respective bank accounts.
How can I register for UPI?
- User will download the UPI enabled bank app on Play Store.
- After successful download of app, mobile verification will be done. For dual SIM, user will have to select SIM slot in which registered mobile number is inserted.
- After verification of mobile number, user will have to enter his/her name.
- On the next screen, customer has to select “Bank Name” from drop list down provided and select accounts and create VPA.
- After successful linking of bank account and VPA, user will have to create 4 digits login PIN, enter email ID and set one security question.
- On the same page user will have to agree terms and conditions and click submit.
- User profile is created successfully.
Note: Kindly ensure sufficient balance in your number for deducting SMS charges for mobile verification.
How to set Login PIN?
You can set Login PIN of your choice in the below format – Bank of Baroda - 4 character Login PIN
How can I add more Bank Account after successful creation of Profile?
After successful registration with UPI, click on Add Bank Account. Choose your bank from the list in which this mobile number is updated. Application will fetch the eligible account number link with the same mobile number.
What is UPI PIN and how to set it?
UPI PIN is a second factor authentication i.e. 4 Digit transaction PIN which is require to authorize financial and non-financial transactions. Debit Card is mandatory for Setting UPI PIN.UPI PIN can be set by entering last 6 six digits of debit card and expiry date along with OTP delivered to your registered mobile number from issuer bank. You can use Change PIN option to change the PIN required for transactions. Bank of Baroda-4 DigitUPIPIN (All Link Account number will have Same UPI PIN)
Why am I not able to set UPI PIN for my account despite entering valid debit card details?
Using the active debit card, you can set the UPI PIN only for the account linked to the card. In case of card is not linked to account, please contact your branch.
How many Bank Accounts can I add to my Profile?
You can add below numbers of eligible accounts in your profile. You can Click on “Plus”, Under UPI Accounts or go to “Manage Accounts” and proceed for adding Bank accounts.
What is Virtual Payment Address (VPA)?
Virtual Payment Address is created for your bank account which acts as a unique identifier to be used for performing the transactions. To send money, you just need to enter the virtual address of the beneficiary. The beneficiary need not to share account details as only VPA is required for transaction. There will be different VPA handler for the different Bank like –
For Bank of Baroda handler is - @barodapay and @barodampay
How many Virtual Payment Addresses can be created against one Bank Account?
You can create maximum 5 Virtual Payment Addresses. The created VPA must be linked with one account to receive payments. The Payment will be received on Default account number set for respective VPA.
How many Bank Accounts can be linked with one Virtual Payment Address?
You can link multiple Bank Accounts with one Virtual Payment Address. However, you have to set one default Bank Account for that Virtual Payment Address.
I have more than one account with Bank(s), do I need separate virtual payment addresses for each of these accounts?
You can either link both accounts to a single VPA or you can assign a separate VPA for each account. In the former, please ensure you have appropriately chosen which account you would like to use as the default account to get credit.
Why am I not able to connect on UPI?
- The reason may be:
- Your account may have become Dormant / In-active.
- Mobile Number from which you are trying to sign in may not be registered to your Account.
- Customer is having Mode of Operation which is not eligible for UPI services such as Joint/ Anyone or survivor, former or survivor etc.
- You are having account with multiple customer IDs
I am able to see accounts which do not belong to me. What should I do?
It might be the case that your mobile number is mistakenly registered against the account number in question. Please contact the respective bank whose account is visible.
All my accounts are not visible. Why?
- The reason may be:
- Your are not having account in the eligible scheme i.e. Saving, Current and OD
- The mode of operation is notSelf/Either or Survivor or Sole Proprietor.
- Customer ID is different
What if I enter the UPI PIN wrong for more than 3 attempts?
UPI PIN will be block permanently. You have to regenerate New UPI-PIN by using your debit card credential along with OTP sent by issuer bank.
If I forgot UPI PIN, what will be the procedure and details required for it?
You have to select SET/RESET UPI PIN option through UPI Application and require to put your last 6 six digits of debit card and expiry date along with OTP password which will be sent on registered mobile number from issuer bank.
If I forgot Login PIN, what will be the procedure and details required for it?
- In this case, click on “forgot Login PIN”, option is available on the login page. Now, on the next screen you will be asked to enter:
- “Question and Answer” which was set at the time of registration.
- Now, after Answer and question, App will prompt to set New 4 digits Login PIN.
If I forgot Question & Answers, what will be the procedure and details required for it?
- In this case, you have to select forgot Question & Answers option, available on forgot Login PIN page.
- Enter registered email ID. An OTP will be sent on the entered email ID (valid for 10 Min)
- Enter OTP and Submit.
What is the difference between Login PIN and UPI PIN?
- Login PIN
- It is used for logging into UPI App.
- UPI PIN
- It is a 2nd factor authentication which is used for completing all financial and non-financial transactions on UPI & USSD platforms.
How can I transfer funds to any Bank Account?
- The different channels for transferring funds using UPI are:
- Virtual ID
- Account number + IFSC
- Mobile number + MMID (only for BHIM Baroda Pay UPI App)
What is MMID?
Mobile Money Identifier (MMID) is a seven digits random number issued by the bank upon registration. Remitter (customer who wants to send money) and Beneficiary (customer who wants to receive the money) should have this MMID for doing this interbank funds transfer.
How can I perform transactions usingBHIM Baroda Pay UPI?
- After adding bank account, generate virtual address and set UPI PIN for authenticating transactions.
- Click on Pay.
- If you choose to transact using Virtual Address, enter valid virtual address of the beneficiary. The beneficiary must be registered with UPI.
- If you choose to transact through IFSC code and bank account number, enter the required details. In such case, the beneficiary need not register with UPI.
- To ask for money from friends, use Collect Money option, enter the payer details and click collect money.
- To approve collect money requests raised by friends, click Pending approval option.
- To Make Payment through QR code click to Scan & Pay option available on home page.
Can I put a stop payment request for funds transferred by UPI?
No, once the payment is initiated, it cannot be stopped.
Does the customer need to register a beneficiary before transferring funds through UPI? What details of beneficiary will be required?
No, registration of Beneficiary is not required for transferring funds through UPI as the fund would be transferred on the basis of Virtual ID / Account+IFSC / Mobile Number+MMID. However, Application will ask user to create beneficiary list for future payments. List of Beneficiary (Add/delete) can be managed through Contact Management option available in application.
Does customer need to have a bank account or this can be linked to a card or wallet?
No, customer cannot link a wallet to UPI, only bank accounts can be added.
Does the beneficiary also have to register for UPI for receiving funds?
In case of Virtual ID transaction & QR Code, the beneficiary needs to have a Virtual ID and in turn be registered with UPI but in case of Account +IFSC the beneficiary need not be registered for UPI.
How can I receive/collect funds in my account from other account?
You can receive/collect payment through Virtual Payment Address and by generating Static/Dynamic QR code through application.
How do I know if someone has sent collect request to me?
You will receive SMS ¬ification for the collect request from Payer PSP.
I want to initiate a Collect request. Can I set an expiry time for the same?
Yes, you can set the expiry time. You can set an expiry time from 30 Mins to 45 days, from the date of initiation of the transaction.
What are the limits for Fund transfer?
||Per txn (amount)
||Per day (amount)
||Min Amount per txn
||No. of txns per day
||10 (24hrs rolling limit)
The limits set are per account limit.
What are the limits for E-commerce (Utility payment, bill payment etc?
|Max Amount per transaction
||Max Amount per Day
What are the limits for IPO (Initial Public Offering) under ASBA facility in UPI?
||Per txn (amount)
||Per day (amount)
||No. of txns per day
||10 (24hrs rolling limit)
What is the transaction limit for the first time user in UPI?
The transaction limit for first time UPI user is up to Rs. 5,000.
How do I Pay an online merchant through BHIM Baroda Pay UPI?
When you shop-online, you can pay through BHIM Baroda Pay UPI when you see UPI as a payment option. On clicking that, you will need to enter your Payment Address (e.g. imgm@barodapay). Once entered you will receive a collect request on your BHIM Baroda Pay UPI. Enter your UPI PIN here and your payment will be complete.
Is there are any charges for using any service of UPI facility?
Currently, there are no charges for using services of these UPI Applications.
How long does it take for the remittance to get credited into the beneficiary account number?
As facility is based on IMPS the funds should be credited into the beneficiary account immediately. In Case transaction status showing pending/Deemed the amount will be settled on T+1 working day by beneficiary Bank to customer’s account.
How I will come to know that my account is debited and funds have been credited in the beneficiary's account?
The remitting bank sends a confirmation SMS of Success/Failure to customer about the transaction initiated by you.
How does a beneficiary come to know of funds being credited to his / her banks account?
The beneficiary bank sends a confirmation SMS of Success to the beneficiary customer informing him / her of the credit in the account. In our application you can view recent transaction & transaction history.
When can I use the funds received through UPI?
You can use the funds immediately on receipt of credit in the account. The funds received through UPI are good funds and can be used immediately upon credit.
Can I transfer money abroad using UPI?
Can I link my NRE/NRO Accounts in UPI?
No, currently, you will not be able to link NRE/NRO Accounts under UPI.
Where can I see all my past transactions?
You can see 20 transactions your past transactions under 'Transaction History' available in the Application. You can also explore by using advance search option i.e. search by date and amount for last one month transaction.
How can I De-register from UPI App and If De-registered is there an option to Re-register?
You can go to the option De-register in the App itself by entering security answer. However, once de-registered you cannot register with same virtual ID for 2 years. You need to proceed with fresh registration, if once de-registered.
Will these UPI Applications have a similar appearance on all phones?
The appearance of these UPI Applicationsmay differ slightly on different phones, however, its functions and operations will remain the same, irrespective of the mobile handset being used.
Fund Transfer / Bill Payment:
What if the Fund transfer transaction gets failed or transfer is made to incorrect account?
You need to recheck all the beneficiary details while making any transaction. In case, if any such error occurs, you can raise complaint from the Application itself through the option Complaints and contact to base branch to get Indemnity letter. Also, please read terms and conditions section of the application.
In case of failed transaction, amount will be refunded to the account generally within 3 working days.
What if the Recharge or Bill payment transaction gets failed or recharge is made to incorrect mobile?
You need to recheck all the beneficiary details while making any transaction. In case of failed transactions of Recharge money will berefunded to account generallyon T+1 basis (T is date of transaction) and for Bill payment T+5 basis (T is date of transaction).
If the transaction is not completed will I get the money back? When?
Yes, In case for any reason, technical or business, the UPI transaction is not completed the reversal of the remitter’s funds will happen immediately. In case if such a transaction becomes a subject to reconciliation wherein the fate of transaction is not determined immediately, the reversal of funds will happen generally in 3 working days.
What if the status of transaction shows “Deemed” on the UPI application?
Deemed refers to time out transaction. Which means it will be either credited to beneficiary customer on “t+1(transaction date + 1) working day basis” or will be reversed to your account on “t+2 (transaction date + 2) working days basis”.
How to log a complaint on UPI App?
You can go to the option Transaction History and can log a complaint for any transaction from the App itself. Once you have raised a complaint, you can check the status of your complaint with the option Dispute Management.
How can I protect my UPI Application?
UPI Applications equipped with security features (Login Pin & UPI PIN) which allows you to protect your app from misuse. Also, please ensure you select a PIN that is strong enough which is known only to you and do not note down or share your passwords. It is also good practice to change your passwords periodically. We also suggest you to keep your Login Pin and UPI PIN different to minimize misuse of you UPI App. Further, please make sure you have successfully logged out your application after using it to minimize unauthorized access.
How secure is my personal information?
Nothing is stored on the mobile phone. We encrypt personal information using industry-leading encryption technology
If I change my UPI app/Handset/SIM will I be required to register again or can I carry the same virtual address?
In case of change in UPI app version /Handset/SIM, you need to re-register with the same process of mobile number verification along with Verification of your account by validating UPI-PIN and no need to create new/change virtual address.
What in Case I forgot UPI-PIN which is required to Re-Verify UPI profile?
After entering incorrect UPI-PIN multiple time forgot UPI PIN option will be enable you can regenerate UPIPIN by using debit card Credential followed OTP.
How safe is doing transactions with UPI App?
Unified Payment Interface is highly secured as it works on two factor authentication (2FA), one being registered Mobile Number and second being UPI PIN incorporated with dedicated NPCI secured library.
What happens if my mobile phone is being used by other person or is lost?
In such a scenario, do not worry. The UPI app authenticates your identity through mobile number. In case of theft, get your mobile number blocked through your service provider. In addition, PIN would be required both for logging into the application and authorizing transaction. So the possibility of security breach is minimized. As a practice, never disclose your PIN to anyone.
Any Helpdesk or Customer Support number where I can get more information about the UPI Applications?
- Bank of Baroda –
- Website - www.bankofbaroda.co.in
- Contact Centre Number - 1800 102 4455/1800 2584455
- Complaint Lodging - https://smepaisa.bankofbaroda.co.in/onlinecomplaint/
I Am Merchant (Available in “BHIM Baroda Pay”)
What is I am Merchant functionality.
This services is used for self-declaration of Merchant to customer who are having small business such as grocery shop, kirana shop etc. for collection of fund through collect request or QR code payments.
How to register as Merchant?
- This option is available for BHIM Baroda Pay application users who can register themselves as a Merchant
- Launch UPI App on your phone and enter the passcode to authenticate.
- Click to option I am Merchant at home screen
- In the next page, you have to enter merchant details. These include your business name, contact number, merchant category and merchant address with state and PIN code. Tap on the proceed button after entering all the details.
- You can create New VPA or use existing VPA for collection of Fund.
- Confirm the details in next page and you are done. Your BHIM merchant account registration is complete and your account is now live.
Can User Rollback after Declaring as Merchant?
No, User cannot rollback once it declare as Merchant
Is there any Charges for Merchant Declaration and receiving payment through UPI?
A. Currently, there are no charges for collection.
How can I(Merchant) receive money using a Virtual Payment Address?
- Through Initiating Collect Request:-
- Login to UPI App
- Navigate to VPA Collect
- Enter Payer Virtual Address
- Enter other required details
- Click Initiate Collect
- One can receive money after Payer approves Collect request
- Through Generating Dynamic/ Static QR code:-
- Login to UPI App
- Navigate to QR Collect
- Enter amount and remark
- Click to Generate QR code
- Merchant can paste UPI QR code in their shop or can share with email, Whatsapp etc.
- Customer have to open any UPI application and use Scan & Pay option ti make payment.
|Immediately report lost/ stolen Mobile / Debit Card to Bank’s Contact Centre for blocking of UPI / Debit Card.
||Never share the Confidential information like Debit Card number, Expiry Date, OTP to any one by any means
|Immediately report unauthorised transaction to Bank’s Contact Centre for blocking of compromised channel
||Never transfer funds or accept collect request without validation of recipient, as funds once transferred cannot be reversed
|Verify transaction alert received via SMS and report unauthorised transaction immediately
||Never download any suspicious App or share the App code
|If needed, find the Contact details of any E-commerce site / insurance / Bank’s Branch / Contact Centre Number from the Official Website of the respective E-commerce site / insurance / Banks etc.
||Never get the Contact details from any Search Engine it might be the manipulated Mobile number of the fraudster.